AUSSIE slang is almost a language of its own with a shortened word or phrase for almost everything.
With Australia Day just around the corner, we're compiling a list of slang and Aussie phrases we all know far too well.
The Chronicle Office came up with 10 to get the ball rolling.
1. Spit the dummy - to get upset about something
2. Rug up - get warm
3. "Chuck a sickie" - Take a day off work
4. Dead horse - tomato sauce
5. Heaps - lots of something
6. "Mad as a cut snake" - an crazy person
7. Mates rates - a discounted price for friends
8. Slab - carton of beer
9. Dunny can - toilet
10. Smoko - a word for a break commonly used on a construction site
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.