AN AEROSOL can exploded in a fire on the front porch of a home in Maryborough's Ambrose White St about 7.35am on Wednesday.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Maryborough station officer Dennis Parmenter said he believed the residue from a cigarette started the fire in the cushions of a cane chair.
He said in one way the occupant of the home was lucky the aerosol can was there.
"The lady herself said that she probably wasn't aware of the fire until she heard the explosion herself so in some ways it was lucky there was an aerosol can there or it may have taken hold," Mr Parmenter said.
"She'd been spraying insects and the aerosol can exploded from the heat and that's what alerted her because obviously there are no smoke alarms outside."
He said the Maryborough fire station received a 000 call from a woman in a nearby street who said she'd heard an explosion and saw smoke coming a house in Ambrose White St
Mr Parmenter said the QFES responded with two appliances, six firefighters and two officers which was standard procedure.
"On arrival the fire was out - it was contained to the front porch," he said.
Mr Parmenter reminded smokers to make sure their cigarettes were properly extinguished and disposed of in appropriate receptacles.
Pictured below: emergency services at the scene
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.