News

Brutal attack leaves M'boro man with head injuries

A MAN has been taken to hospital with serious head injuries after another brutal attack in Maryborough's nightclub district.

Police said about 1.50am on Saturday the 37-year-old Maryborough man was walking on Wharf St when he was set upon by a group of up to three youths who fled after the assault.

A spokesman for Maryborough police said the assault appeared to be an unprovoked attack though it was unclear at this stage if any items were stolen.

"We believe this particular case was an opportunistic attack, however, in a licensed precinct, people need to be aware not to walk alone and don't engage with threatening behaviour."

Witnesses called police to the scene.

The injured man was found a short time later wandering the street.

Ambulance officers took the injured man to Maryborough Hospital.

"The victim sustained serious head wounds," a spokesman said.

"He had a swollen face and a cut above his eye and lip.

"He has also hit his head quite hard on the road after being punched."

Police believe up to three attackers were involved and the Criminal Investigation Branch is investigating.

This latest incident in Wharf St comes just weeks after it was announced the Fraser Coast Regional Council would be given $199, 989 under the Federal Government's Safer Streets Program.

The program will see 27 more CCTV cameras rolled out across proposed Maryborough sites, including Wharf St.

Topics:  maryborough, maryborough police




Brumbies could be targeted for removal from Fraser Island

A brumby on Fraser Island.

BRUMBIES could be targeted for removal.

Community group will be moved to a new location

Participants at the Hervey Bay men's shed roll the boat they're building back into the shed after turning it right side up. Photo: Alistair Brightman / Fraser Coast Chronicle

HERVEY Bay Men’s Shed is about to get a new home.

EXCLUSIVE: Images released of axe found in search for Dixon

An axe was found wrapped in a patterned cloth at a Urangan creek during a search for missing man Anthony Dixon in June last year.

Police are calling for information about the items that were found.

Latest deals and offers

Rob Kardashian 'neglected' by Blac Chyna

Friends say they are now 'back in love'

Isla Fisher: I don't like talking about my private life

Isla Fisher shut down TV hosts when they asked about her husband

Mariah Carey: I 'can't believe' Prince has gone

'Prince was one of the best people I've met'

Joe Jonas' 'tough' pals

Joe Jonas' pals are 'tough' with his potential partners

The Bachelor wash up: bacon, plank offs and that white rose

Richie Strahan, second from left, with bachelorettes Eliza, Faith, Noni and Janey in a scene from episode one of the fourth season of The Bachelor.

RICHIE Strahan meets some beautiful, and colourful, bachelorettes.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles