ESTELLE Barnard is urging anyone intending to set off fireworks to alert their neighbours after several dogs escaped from their backyards in Wondunna after being spooked by the noise, including the dog Ms Barnard is minding.
Ms Barnard was house-sitting in Wondunna and was minding the family's dog, Sheena, when the animal escaped after being frightened by the sound of fireworks from a private property last Wednesday night.
Sheena injured all four of her paws after escaping, but was fortunately found by a neighbour who brought her home.
Ms Barnard had to pay $250 in vet bills to treat the pads of Sheena's paws, which were blistered and torn.
She said she knew several other neighbours had also had dogs escape, but none were as badly injured as Sheena.
Ms Barnard said she had contacted police and had heard that the fireworks were part of a private event and that those holding the event had a legal permit.
Attempts were made to confirm that with police and with the Department of Natural Resources and Mines, which issues permits, but no information was available.
But Ms Barnard said it didn't matter if the fireworks was set off legally, what mattered was that neighbours were not informed.
She urged anyone considering a private fireworks display to contact the media or neighbouring homes so animals could be secured.
For more information on fireworks in the community, visit http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/safety-and-health/Fireworks%20in%20the%20community.htm.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.