UPDATE: A drum of glue spilt at the Maryborough Bowls Club sparked a chemical scare on Monday morning.
Maryborough police Senior Sergeant Tony Cole said about 9am police and firefighters were called to the bowls club and found a white substance had been poured across a green that was under repair.
He said firefighters tested the chemical and found it was basically a glue used to hold the subsurface together before they put the turf back on the green.
"So some unknown persons have poured that drum of chemical across the green that's under repair and down the embankment on the other side," Snr Sgt Cole said.
"It's perfectly safe, it's harmless.
"There's no element of danger here."
He said workers had gone back to repairing the green.
No evacuations were required at the bowls club or nearby schools.
Maryborough Bowls Club greens director Roger Wells said the hall had been leased for a 21st birthday party on Saturday night.
He said sometime during the night, the tap on the drum of bonding agent had been let out, spilling about 200 litres of the chemical through the back car park.
Mr Wells said the spill was noticed on Saturday night but not reported until Monday morning.
EARLIER: Emergency service workers are at the scene of a suspected chemical spill on Kent St, near the corner of John St, in Maryborough.
Police, ambulance and fire officers are outside the Maryborough Bowls Club.
No further details are available at this time.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.