News

UPDATE: Firies urge to switch off after pet killed in fire

UPDATE 4.30PM: TURN off your TV, unplug your electricals and switch off power points, are the warnings firefighters are giving after a house fire in Wondunna over the weekend.

Fire crews were called about 8.30pm on Monday night after the family returned from a weekend away to find the home filled with smoke and walls blackened.

A search of the home found a fire had broken out in the television, which had been left on stand-by.

But, the blaze had soon put itself out due to lack of oxygen as the house was completely shut.

The family's cat was unable to make it outside and died from smoke inhalation.

Torquay Fire Station officer Jason McCloskey said the fire was not suspicious.

He urged people who were going away to take some simple precautions.

"A lot of the time the fires are caused from electrical appliances left on," he said.

Mr McCloskey said to help reduce the risk of fire, if people are going away, they should turn off and unplug all electrical appliances.

He said this included televisions, toasters and DVD players.

Mobile phone chargers are also potential house fire starters, warned McCloskey.

"It's happening more and more as more people are using chargers for their mobiles," he said.

Mr McCloskey said chargers often warmed up if left on too long.

"Make sure they are correct and have the approvals stamped on the side," he said.

Those using chargers are also urged not to leave items charging overnight in order to avoid them heating up too much.

EARLIER: A FAMILY is distraught after returning home to find their house severely damaged by smoke and their pet cat dead.

Crews arrived at the smoke damaged home about 8.25pm on Monday after the family returned from a weekend away.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Station Officer Neil Lesmond said 99% of the home was black and severely damaged by smoke.

The fire is believed to have started on Sunday night from the television in the lounge room.

It took crews an hour to find the remains of the cat in one of the bedrooms.

Due to the place being locked up, Mr Lesmond said the fire ran out of oxygen and extinguished itself leaving nothing but a black and dirty home.

Fly screens were damaged where it is believed the cat tried to escape.

A family member went to the home to feed the animals on the Saturday.

Topics:  editors picks hervey bay house fire qfes wondunna



How to survive a bushfire in your car

IT SOUNDS like a nightmare, but it can happen.

Eight reasons to join the RFS

SPREAD across 93% of Queensland, the Rural Fire Service has about 36,000 volunteers. And you could be one of them.

What if my insurer gives me grief?

CLAIMING your insurance cover after a natural disaster can go one of two ways. It can be a breeze, or like pulling teeth.

Mary River croc search continues

CROCODILE: This crocodile was caught in the Mary River near Tiaro. Wayne Gosley is the little boy in the picture touching the creature.

The last reported sighting was less than a month ago.

30 speciality stores coming to new Maryborough Central

An $8 million revamp is underway at Maryborough Central Shopping Centre.

The leasing team are currently in negotiations with key retailers.

Court hears hammer attack followed death threats

RECOVERED: Gympie father Timothy Udris, who survived a hammer attack in June, 2014, outside Brisbane Supreme Court with his wife Emily.

Gympie dad says "I knew I was dying” following alleged attack

Local Partners

Have you downloaded the Fraser Coast Chronicle app yet?

The free Fraser Coast Chronicle phone app lets readers know when stories covering topics they are interested in are uploaded to the website.


Man builds playground entirely out of packing tape

Artist Eric Lennartson is in the process of completing his huge tape sculpture at the Ipswich Art Gallery.

VIDEO:And here's where you can play on it.

Where to meet Santa on the Fraser Coast these holidays

Santa Claus is coming to the Fraser Coast. Four year old Jorja Dowman has been visiting Santa in the shopping centre since she was just six months old.

Don't miss your chance to tell him what's on your wishlist!

Countdown to Woodford Folk Festival begins

ECONOMIC BOON: Woodford Folk Festival is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.  Photo Contributed

The first larger-than-life inhabitants have stepped into Woodfordia

ABC's Fresh Blood graduates are a Skit Box full of laughs

Sarah Bishop, Greta Lee Jackson and Adele Vuko in a scene from the TV series Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.

ALL-female comedy trio hitting the mark with new sketch show.

Kim Kardashian West said to be looking for a divorce

Kim Kardashian West is looking to file for divorce from her husband

HBO announces which show will replace Game of Thrones

Diana Rigg, Natalie Dormer, and Hannah Waddingham in a scene from Game of Thrones.

Game of Thrones is definitely not coming back next April

Adele's Carpool Karaoke biggest viral hit on YouTube in 2016

The video has already attracted more than 135 million views

What's on the big screen this week

TJ Miller and Jason Bateman in a scene from the movie Office Christmas Party.

A COMEDY about a rowdy office Christmas party hits cinemas today.

MOVIE REVIEW: Moana is an original adventure in paradise

The character Maui (Dwayne Johnson) in a scene from the movie Moana.

One Boxing Day animated film has a heart as big as the Pacific Ocean

Council opens up on 'secret' private development companies

Ipswich City Council Administration Building, South Street, Ipswich. Photo: Claudia Baxter / The Queensland Times

New website launched by Ipswich City Council

INSIDE STORY: The highlights of your $150 million CBD

GRAND PLAN: The highlights of the Ipswich CBD redevelopment and where they will be located.

Work on city heart's radical transformation to begin next year

VOTE IN OUR POLL: Sand mine opponents face serious dilemma

Public meeting for the proposed sand mine at Maroochydore last week.

Coast MP calls on Minister to stop KRA proposal with stroke of a pen

Developer's grand new multi-million dollar estate

NEW ESTATE: This is the only plan revealed by the property developer's new Billabongs Estate in Agnes Water.

DEVELOPER given the go ahead for a massive estate with 149 homes.

Couple's desperate $550K price drop to sell Gladstone home

Brian Headley and Kirstene Staib are selling their Kin Kora mansion for $750,000.

TELL tale sign of Gladstone's property market.

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!