News

UPDATE: Firies urge to switch off after pet killed in fire

UPDATE 4.30PM: TURN off your TV, unplug your electricals and switch off power points, are the warnings firefighters are giving after a house fire in Wondunna over the weekend.

Fire crews were called about 8.30pm on Monday night after the family returned from a weekend away to find the home filled with smoke and walls blackened.

A search of the home found a fire had broken out in the television, which had been left on stand-by.

But, the blaze had soon put itself out due to lack of oxygen as the house was completely shut.

The family's cat was unable to make it outside and died from smoke inhalation.

Torquay Fire Station officer Jason McCloskey said the fire was not suspicious.

He urged people who were going away to take some simple precautions.

"A lot of the time the fires are caused from electrical appliances left on," he said.

Mr McCloskey said to help reduce the risk of fire, if people are going away, they should turn off and unplug all electrical appliances.

He said this included televisions, toasters and DVD players.

Mobile phone chargers are also potential house fire starters, warned McCloskey.

"It's happening more and more as more people are using chargers for their mobiles," he said.

Mr McCloskey said chargers often warmed up if left on too long.

"Make sure they are correct and have the approvals stamped on the side," he said.

Those using chargers are also urged not to leave items charging overnight in order to avoid them heating up too much.

EARLIER: A FAMILY is distraught after returning home to find their house severely damaged by smoke and their pet cat dead.

Crews arrived at the smoke damaged home about 8.25pm on Monday after the family returned from a weekend away.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Station Officer Neil Lesmond said 99% of the home was black and severely damaged by smoke.

The fire is believed to have started on Sunday night from the television in the lounge room.

It took crews an hour to find the remains of the cat in one of the bedrooms.

Due to the place being locked up, Mr Lesmond said the fire ran out of oxygen and extinguished itself leaving nothing but a black and dirty home.

Fly screens were damaged where it is believed the cat tried to escape.

A family member went to the home to feed the animals on the Saturday.

Topics:  editors picks, hervey bay, house fire, pet cat, qfes, wondunna




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Robertson overwhelmed with support since serious crash

Family thankful for messages of love and support after horror crash.

Firefighters force entry to rescue sleeping woman from fire

FIREFIGHTERS: Firefighter Paul Sanders at the end of th e shift. photo Lea Emery / Fraser Coast Chronicle

Hervey Bay firefighters rescued the woman from the burning building

Fraser Coast secures high tourism exposure at trade show

Fraser Island sunset  - User Contributed

The region’s iconic nature-based attractions were on display

Latest deals and offers

Barnaby Joyce talks Johnny Depp's dogs in Tweed

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce talks about Johnny Depp's dogs Pistol and Boo...

Billy Slater talks Origin Team

Queensland Origin great Billy Slater.

Queensland Origin great Billy Slater talks about this years team and his return to...

Road rage caught on Dashcam

Attack with a baseball bat caught on Dashcam

Video of a violent road rage incident in Orange last December.

Own Sunshine Coast property? You’re about to make money

UP AND UP: Property owners are likely to win from rent and price increases but tenants and first home buyers might not be so happy. Photo: Brett Wortman / Sunshine Coast Daily

Good new for property owners, not so good for buyers and tenants.

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked