FIVE years after he first raised the alarm about a dangerous manhole on East St at Scarness, John Hazel has had no response - and now he is fed up.
Mr Hazel said the open, 1m-metre deep hole near a busy walkway has been there since he moved to the area 10 years ago, and after several years he became concerned enough to lodge an official complaint.
"In the past five years, I've been to the council several times but I've only gotten as far as talking to the receptionist who said a complaint will be recorded," he said.
"It's only going to be a matter of time when someone is going to have a huge accident.
"I already know an elderly woman who has fallen inside the manhole and just two days ago I had to pull away a blind woman who was walking in the area.
"All council did was put plywoods up and cordoned off the area which were ripped out two weeks ago and they've come back and cordoned off the manhole again!"
The walkway is a busy area according to Mr Hazel who said he could hear people walking around as early as 4am.
When alerted of this issue by the Chronicle last week, councillor Trevor McDonald said barricades and warnings around open pits in the footpaths were put in place but said it was Telstra's problem to fix.
A Telstra spokesman when contacted on Tuesday apologised and said their priority was to fix it soon.
"The repair task has been escalated and we are working to have this work completed as soon as possible," he said.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.