WORKERS at CQMS Razer Maryborough again face an uncertain future, with the CFMEU telling the Chronicle 50-60 staff will be stood down temporarily.
CFMEU regional organiser Laurie Genrich said staff were aware of the company's plans to suspend their employment for six weeks from next Monday.
He said workers have been asked to accept a reduced four-day week on return or face more job cuts.
"The guys are going to be asked to vote today that after the six-week period would they be prepared to come back to a four-day week," Mr Genrich said.
"If that vote is returned as a no-vote the complete stand-down will continue."
Mr Genrich said the cuts represented two-thirds of the "on-the-floor workers".
The claims followed a tumultuous 12-month period for the foundry.
Since November last year, the Chronicle has reported on the axing of about 80 workers.
Employees have been forced to spend a four-week period at Christmas without income, and endured an unpaid period that spanned several weeks following the January floods.
Mr Genrich said it was time for CQMS Razer to lift its game and offer some certainty to its workers.
"The guys are saying they would sooner be paid off so they can get on with their lives but the company is refusing to offer redundancies," he said.
"So as the boys are seeing it, they are being forced into this situation where they might throw their hands in the air and say, 'Stuff this'."
Efforts were made to contact CQMS Razer yesterday however no response had been received at the time of print.
CQMS Razer constructs mining equipment and has operated its Maryborough site since 2003.
Mr Genrich said more needed to be done to ensure the rights of Australian workers were maintained and jobs are not sent offshore.
How it's unfolded
- November 2012: 20-30 workers axed
- December: Staff go unpaid for four weeks at Christmas
- February: Staff go unpaid for several weeks following floods
- March: About 60 workers axed
- June: About 50 staff to be stood down temporarily