News

Throat slasher to walk free after just 8 months

HE SLASHED the throat of his partner's brother with a hunting knife, causing a wound that came within millimetres of killing him.

But in less than three months, a Maryborough man will walk free from jail, having already served five months in custody.

The 22-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty in Maryborough District Court to unlawful wounding, two charges of contravening a domestic violence order, driving without a licence and breaching bail.

In June this year, the man went to the Tinana home of his partner despite the fact that a protection order was in place.

The court heard the man had verbally abused the pregnant woman.

The defendant told her to "go get an abortion" and punched the walls and cupboards of the home.

During a second incident, the court heard the man struck his partner in the mouth and in the left eye.

He then drove away from the home in a car, despite the fact that he had been suspended from driving due to a previous offence.

During the time he was away from the home, the woman's daughter called her uncle - the woman's brother - who came to the house to protect his sister and niece, and called 000 for police.

The defendant returned to the home, holding a bottle of alcohol in a brown paper bag in one hand and a hunting knife in the other, and immediately attacked the brother.

"He walked into the room and stabbed him in his neck," Crown prosecutor Susan Hedge said.

The brother punched the defendant to protect himself.

Police arrived and both men were taken to hospital.

The court heard the brother had a 4cm laceration to his neck that required stitches.

The wound exposed a muscle in the man's throat and came within 10mm of the carotid artery which, if severed, could have killed him.

The man already had a suspended sentence of six months hanging over him from a previous conviction.

The court heard the man had been convicted of dangerous driving, relating to an incident of hooning in which he had crashed a car, leaving three passengers in the vehicle with serious injuries.

Judge Michael Noud said he would impose the suspended sentence but make it concurrent, with a head sentence of three years for the unlawful wounding.

Defence barrister Paul Rutledge said his client knew he had a problem and was seeking help.

Mr Rutledge said his client had job prospects and had been distressed at the time after his partner had suffered two miscarriages.

A parole release date was set for February 25.

Topics:  maryborough district court




New leader of Fraser Coast Opportunities announced

Fraser Coast Opportunities general manager Alva Hemming.

Alva Hemming is the third general manager at FCO in as many years.

No bail after an alleged attack on female officer

It is alleged a female police officer was kicked in the face

UPDATE: Colleagues witness fatal crash involving workmates

One woman is dead and another seriously injured after an accident on the Bruce Hwy north of Gootchie.

THE co-workers of two women killed in a crash issued a statement.

Latest deals and offers

Brian McFadden makes daughters pay for own Christmas gifts

McFadden makes his daughters pay for half their presents

Lady Gaga is a godmother

Lady Gaga has become a godmother to her friends' daughter

Will Turbo be taken off TV?

Memes about Turbo are flowing on Social media.

PEOPLE want Turbo taken off TV, but will Prospero Productions the ma

Police charge in after Lohan claims fiance tried to kill her

"You tried to kill me. You're a f*****g psycho".

Prince Harry regrets not talking about Diana's death

Diana, Princess of Wales, enjoys a ride on the Maid of Mist in Niagara Falls, Ont., in this Oct., 1991, with her sons Prince Harry, then 7, and Prince William, then 9.

The royal was 12 years old when his mother was killed

Oh Kim, be careful with the spray tan when breast feeding

Kim Kardashian West accidentally smothered North's face in fake tan

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles