News

Hung jury in case of dad accused of raping daughter, 8

THE trial of a 46-year-old man accused of repeatedly raping his eight-year-old daughter has resulted in a hung jury.

The jury began deliberating on the verdict early on Thursday afternoon but failed to make a decision on Monday afternoon and was discharged in the Maryborough District Court.

The father-of-six is charged with four counts of forcing daughter to perform oral sex on him on two separate days in 2012.

During the trial the girl, now 10, told the court in pre-recorded evidence that her father forced her to perform oral sex on one occasion in 2012 in her brothers' bedroom.

She said he had also forced her to do the same three times on a different day in 2012 in her parent's bedroom.

A police interview with the alleged victim was also played to the jury, where police asked her to describe the last time her father made her perform oral sex.

Defence barrister Neville Weston told the jury the alleged victim's evidence was very short, inconsistent and unsatisfactory.

"In the space of the police interview (the alleged victim) has said two things that cannot be true," he said.

Mr Weston said the girl was unhappy in a home that did not appear to be a place where children were brought up appropriately, and appeared to be prepared to say anything to get away from constant arguing between her parents.

Crown prosecutor Sam Bain said the girl, who was nine when she gave evidence, was a reliable and honest witness.

The court was told the alleged victim was removed from her parent's care in May 2013 and has not had any contact with the father since then.

The case has been listed for mention in court on Wednesday.

Topics:  maryborough district court




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Robertson overwhelmed with support since serious crash

Family thankful for messages of love and support after horror crash.

Bay car park now free after drawing low revenue during trial

TIME'S UP: Fraser Coast Councillor David Lewis stands beside the now-obsolete ticket machine in the Main St/Charles St car park in Pialba.

Council takes vote to make the changes.

Leaders debate: More reality on House Rules, Masterchef

Leadership debate between Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten too dull

Latest deals and offers

Barnaby Joyce talks Johnny Depp's dogs in Tweed

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce talks about Johnny Depp's dogs Pistol and Boo...

Billy Slater talks Origin Team

Queensland Origin great Billy Slater.

Queensland Origin great Billy Slater talks about this years team and his return to...

Road rage caught on Dashcam

Attack with a baseball bat caught on Dashcam

Video of a violent road rage incident in Orange last December.

Own Sunshine Coast property? You’re about to make money

UP AND UP: Property owners are likely to win from rent and price increases but tenants and first home buyers might not be so happy. Photo: Brett Wortman / Sunshine Coast Daily

Good new for property owners, not so good for buyers and tenants.

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked