JUST weeks before she had planned to go on a camping holiday with her parents, Abby Nelson could only watch as the family caravan went up in flames on Thursday.
A gas leak in a fridge is believed to be behind the blaze which gutted the van in the yard of an Eli Waters home.
Emergency services were called to the scene after the fire broke out about 2.30pm.
The fire was contained quickly but the caravan could not be saved.
Hervey Bay Police Sergeant Paul Jervis praised the efforts of firefighters who arrived immediately and were able to put out the fire before it spread to the home and neighbouring properties.
Ms Nelson told the Chronicle she and her parents were looking forward to a trip in the van over the Christmas holidays but would now have to make new plans.
Investigations into whether the fridge was faulty are continuing.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.