News

Let’s move on from cottonwood debate: Mayor

MAYOR Gerard O'Connell won't take any notice of protests against clearing 400sqm of cottonwoods at Ernie Organ Park despite the continuing public uproar.

At the council's last meeting on November 12, Cr George Seymour asked his colleagues to put the plans to public consultation.

Despite Cr Seymour losing the motion 4-7, protests and campaigns against development have continued.

A group of residents have gathered several times at the park led by state independent candidate for Hervey Bay Jannean Dean following the vote to voice their concerns.

A petition against removing the cottonwoods has been established by Ms Dean and has been signed by almost 230 supporters.

The Hervey Bay Foreshore Protection Group on Facebook has also been reborn.

Ms Dean is dissatisfied with the council response, and has organised a Cottonwoods by Candlelight event on December 6 from 6 to 9pm.

"Right now council's attitude isn't good," she said.

"The Cottonwoods by Candlelight may be the last time residents get to experience the ambience of the place before the trees are destroyed."

Ms Dean would like another councillor to bring the issue back to the council's attention.

Despite the community anger, Cr O'Connell remained firm that the decision had been made.

"With the greatest highlight and emphasis on democracy that discussion was had and a decision made," he said.

"This type of enhancement was well and truly flagged - some 26 months ago."

Cr O'Connell said it wasn't every cottonwood tree being taken.

"Council had the opportunity to have another vote on it, we debated it, there was a very lengthy report, it was public - I don't know how much more transparent that can be," he said.

"I think it's been done and we're now moving on."

Cottonwood timeline

  • September 2012: the council outlined its plans for the Esplanade
  • October 28: George Seymour urged the Mayor to be transparent with removal plans
  • November 12: the council voted against a public consultation period

Topics:  clearing, development, ernie organ park, hervey bay, mayor, torquay




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Having battled PND four times, Mel says the secret is sleep

'I just thought, don’t all mothers get no sleep?’

'My husband lasted 6 weeks as a stay at home dad'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images. Katie Dykes being interviewed for the webisodes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

FROM the outside, being a stay at home mum looks like a breeze.

THE EXPERT: Stop judging working mothers

SUPER MUMS: Being a working mums comes down to perfecting time management.

"WORKING for money is all right; so is working because you want to.”

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Police arrest and charge man in a Main St carpark

Police are investigating the crash that took place on Mangrove road in Proserpine.

A man has been caught by Police after allegedly stealing a vehicle.

Bin fire extinguished before it spread to Pt Vernon home

A crew from the Torquay station was called after 11am

Car catches fire after hitting a tree in Kawungan

CRASH: A woman has been taken to hospital with minor injuries after hitting a tree in Kawungan.

A woman has been taken to hospital.

Latest deals and offers

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Hervey Bay Midwifery Group Practise

Hervey Bay Midwifery Group Practise celebrate their second birthday with the...

Wildlife Qld Hervey Bay

Wildlife Queensland Hervey Bay Branch patron Joan Coutts was honoured with a tree...

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward