A $3.2 MILLION "beautification" project along Kent and Adelaide Sts has divided Chronicle readers, with two-thirds of people responding to a Facebook post saying they disagree with the plan.
Forty out of the 64 comments on the Chronicle's Facebook page are from readers who slated the proposed upgrade, with some calling on councillors to get their priorities right.
Miriam Johnson said the money could be spent on more important projects like fixing shops with no disability access, shading the Station Square car park and putting a few seats around the shade.
Kelly Scougall said people wanted "roads that are sealed and free of pot holes and school car parks that are practical and safe".
Ken Matheson wanted the council to spend the money on flood proofing the CBD instead.
"Logical use of scarce resources," he said.
TOP FRASER COAST NEWS
Fearing for the businesses, Cheryle Grundy suggested council workers only work during public holidays and get it done in stages.
"One side of the street or all the street can be closed while council workers work in eight-hour shifts and maybe 24 or 16 hours a day," she said.
Only four welcomed the idea with Ben Collingwood saying, it had been long overdue.
Fi Collingwood was excited to see improvements to Maryborough.
"It's a great place to live and I'd hate to complain about it when something is being done to help," she said.
Maryborough Chamber of Commerce president Craig Winter, who was shocked by the negative comments, said for the past five years, residents had been complaining about how dull and badly derelict the CBD looked.
"Most people I've spoken to recognise that we desperately need to make improvements along Kent and Adelaide Sts," he said.
Fraser Coast councillor Daniel Sanderson was surprised by the comments as the beautification works were proposed by businesses and the community.
"The proposal has been in the pipeline for nearly five years, involving a lot of consultation with business and residents.
"If the council did nothing, we would be accused of not improving the aesthetic appeal of the CBD or replacing aged infrastructure such as the uneven footpaths and broken gutters," he said.
Cr Sanderson also said the council was already spending $6 million on flood mitigation works in the CBD.
"These works are currently being finalised with specialists that have also completed flood mitigation works across Queensland and Australia. Council is working on the timing of the project," he said.
Councillor Trevor McDonald said the council was only doing its job.
"We are only responding to the wishes of the Maryborough people as expressed through extensive community consultation," he said.
Whether people like it or hate it, the project is scheduled to start in April and while Mr Winter felt sorry for affected businesses, he said there was no other way around it.
To see the rest of the comments, go to the Chronicle's Facebook page and scroll down to the post made at 7.18am on Monday, February 2.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.