News

Man climbed through window, raped 13-year-old girl

A WOMAN was so horrified by the disgusting abuse of a 13-year-old girl she ran sobbing from the courtroom as the case was heard.

Her cries from outside were heard as Judge Gary Long detailed the teen's ordeal at the hands of her sister's ex-boyfriend before handing down his sentence.

The girl was forced to have sex, was sodomised and inappropriately touched by the man, a decade older than her, after he climbed through an open Hervey Bay bedroom window.

He could be released from prison as early as January next year.

The man was on parole at the time.

He was also in breach of a domestic violence order which forbade him from visiting his ex-girlfriend's home.

A psychologist has found he was not remorseful nor did he understand the effect the abuse has had on the girl and her family.

The 23-year-old, who the Chronicle has not named in order to protect the girl, pleaded guilty to two counts of forced unlawful carnal knowledge, two counts of sodomy and two counts of indecent treatment of a child.

Crown prosector Dejana Kovac told the court the man had started Facebook messaging the teenager after he broke up with her older sister.

She said he brought the girl a mobile phone to communicate with her secretly.

When he was released on parole in January last year it was only days before the first incident occurred.

The man climbed through the window while the girl slept and asked her for sex.

The court heard the girl said no a few times before relenting but changed her mind and pushed him off her.

Another incident occurred at the friend's house.

It was not until the girl's family found explicit photographs and text messages in April last year that police were notified.

The man was on parole after serving time for attacking his young brother.

Judge Long said the psychologist's report was particularly concerning.

"The psychologist recognises your lack of insight into the effect of the offences."

Mr Long ordered a head sentence of three years prison. He set a parole eligibility date of January 11 next year.

Topics:  court, crime, editors picks, hervey bay, rape



Time is almost up for second advisor appointed to council

The council's second advisor will leave the Fraser Coast today.

The advisor was appointed earlier this year.

Ever tried calisthenics? Now's your chance

Fraser Coast Calisthenics Club is holding a mini tombola and dance display at Maryborough Town Hall on Sunday 20 July.
Doors open 1.30pm for 2pm start.

"The community doesn't realise the discipline that goes into it."

Police reveal grim reality of job: coming home never a given

REMEMBRANCE SERVICE: Queensland police officers and staff members march from the service.

The service honoured officers who have died and those who serve.

Local Partners

Kim Kardashian West wants restraining order against prankster

She was attacked by Vitalii Sediuk for the second time in two years

Cliff Richard to release 101st album

Sir Cliff Richard's album cover

Sir Cliff Richard is to release his 101st album

CMC Rocks faces fan backlash over date change, headliners

The 10th annual CMC Rocks festival will be headlined by The Dixie Chicks.

FANS are not happy about festival being pushed back by two weeks.

Kim Kardashian West attacked by man trying to kiss her bottom

Vitalii Sediuk targeted Gigi Hadid last week

Madonna poses naked in solidarity with Katy Perry

Madonna posted her own nude selfie on Instagram

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Huge Gunalda service station set to open by December

NEW STATION: The Gunalda Service Centre, owned by United Petroleum, will include a 350-seat eating area and a truckers lounge.

The massive servo is the biggest United development in Queensland.

Property leader says Fraser Coast market is looking up

Positivity is the buzz word in the Fraser Coast housing market

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual