News

DIY fireworks leave two men with severe burns

Sarah Fleming / Gatton Star

TWO men were taken to hospital with severe burns after homemade fireworks exploded in Booral on Friday night.

The recipe for the fireworks had been downloaded from the internet, and the items used to make the explosives purchased from a hardware store.

Emergency crews were called to Oslove Dr just before midnight on Friday after the explosion rocked the area.

Hervey Bay police Acting Sergeant Nicola Davies said police were called to the home about 11.30pm on Friday.

"They had been making (an explosive) in the kitchen and it had ignited and burnt two of the three men present," she said.

The Chronicle has chosen not to name the type of fireworks the men were trying to make for safety reasons.

Queensland Ambulance Service senior operations supervisor Martin Kelly said a 28-year-old Booral man and a 23-year-old Dundowran Beach man were both taken to hospital with severe burns to their face and hands.

A 17-year-old man was treated at the scene for a cut to his arm.

"The most serious was cooling off in the pool (on the arrival of paramedics)," he said.

Mr Kelly said the men had partial thickness burns to their face and hands and one of the men had full thickness burns to the hands.

One of the men is expected to be airlifted to Brisbane.

Mr Kelly said the explosion should serve as a warning.

"Don't trust recipes off the internet," he said.

"Any attempt to make explosives of any nature is fraught with danger."

Mr Kelly said three ambulance units and a critical care paramedic responded to the explosion.

Police are investigating the explosion.

Topics:  firework, queensland ambulance service




Mount Walsh photo jump ends in chopper rescue

Stevie Burscough rolled her ankle.

“My ankle gave way and my body slammed sideways,”

Former Matilda keeps Warriors on track to finals

BACK ON FIELD: United's Belinda Kitching. The former Matildas goalkeeper will play the rest of the season after first-choice keeper Marni Rice left the area.

Kitching's presence in goals lifted her team.

Police charge man for assault on pregnant woman

Police on the scene outside Maryborough Courthouse, where a man accused someone of bashing him with a stick near Customs House.

It is believed the woman assaulted was pregnant.

Latest deals and offers

Vintaea: Why I left The Bachelor on the first night

Vintaea Carlos was one of 22 "bachelorettes" looking for love on the fourth season of The Bachelor.

Queensland beauty leaves Richie at rose ceremony.

Amber Heard claims Johnny Depp is stalling divorce

Amber Heard claims Johnny Depp is delaying their divorce

Are you a Fraser Coast eligible bachelor or know someone?

Richie Strahan stars in the fourth season of the reality dating show The Bachelor. Supplied by Channel 10.

THE Fraser Coast Chronicle is searching for top Bachelors.

The Bachelor host: this year's season is a cracker

The Bachelor host Osher Gunsberg.

GUNSBERG says tonight will be "the best night of TV of the year".

Kerri-Anne Kennerley to Sonia Kruger: "Stay brave"

She said her television peer should "stay brave"

Swimwear designer looking for love on The Bachelor

Noni Janur on her first day of filming.

The 25-year-old is one of 22 women vying for Richie Strahan’s heart

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles