THE safety of tagalong tours on Fraser Island has been discussed in a meeting, with changes being considered after the death of a British tourist last year.
Chris and Melanie Fox lost their daughter Jade, 22, when the four-wheel drive she was travelling in rolled on October 31.
Last week, the couple spoke out about their concerns regarding tagalong tours and whether enough safety precautions were being taken.
The family has started a petition, which has attracted more than 5600 signatures, to try to improve safety standards, including ensuring drivers were aged over 25 and had rigorous training before being able to drive on Fraser Island.
A spokeswoman from the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service said the meeting was attended by representatives from QPWS, the Department of Transport and Main Roads, Queensland Police and Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.
She said commercial activity agreements for these tours were due for renewal at the end of last year but the agreements had not been renewed, instead eligible operators had been given a six-month extension while safety aspects of the agreements were reviewed.
"(The) safety of Fraser Island's visitors is always our number one priority, which is why tagalong tours were mandated in 2010," the spokeswoman said.
Ms Fox was the first person to be killed in a vehicle crash on the island since tagalong tours began.
The spokeswoman said the meeting had focussed on the safety of tagalong tours and canvassed potential changes.
Sergeant Steve Webb from the Wide Bay Burnett Forensic Crash Unit attended the meeting on Friday.
Last week, Sgt Webb said compared to the rest of the state, Fraser Island was doing fairly well statistically.