News

Dad allegedly threatened to 'slit the throat' of ex-partner

THE family of a Susan River father accused of trying to kill his ex-partner and another man, has posted a $50,000 bail surety to secure his release for Christmas.

Robert Laurance Bettles, 30, was charged with two counts of attempted murder, the night he was allegedly found by police with a bloody knife at an Urraween home.

The Hervey Bay Magistrates Court heard there had been a long history of bitterness between Bettles and the mother of his four children, beginning in New South Wales and peaking with the alleged stabbing of the woman and another man in October.

>> New speed limits for Hervey Bay roads

>> Holiday plans go up in flames along with caravan

A bail application was part heard last month but adjourned until Thursday to give Magistrate Graeme Tatnell the chance to wade through dozens of documents.

Defence lawyer Erin Ahearn insisted her client posed no danger to the general community, had the support of his family and suggested that once the "evidence was tested" the prosecution may prefer a lesser charge.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Kathryn Stagoll strongly objected to bail on the grounds the case was not about how serious the injuries were - the court heard the alleged victims were released from hospital hours after admission - but the alleged intention of Bettles, who she said, only dropped the knife when police intervened.

She described witness accounts as being consistent with reference to Bettles threatening to "slit the throat" of his alleged victims.

Sgt Stagoll also argued the history between Bettles and his ex-partner proved that no matter how well-intentioned his family may be, no one had been able to influence him not to contact her in the past and "hostilities between the two will certainly prevail".

Magistrate Graeme Tatnell said "as is always the case, no application for bail is foolproof" but as he could not "look into a crystal ball" and Bettles had no history of violence, he was allowed bail on strict conditions.

He warned Bettles that if he breached bail he would "be returned to custody quicker than you know".

Bettles is expected to be released on Friday.

Topics:  editors picks, hervey bay, hervey bay magistrates court, murder




Coast Seniors Expo taking the community back to 50s

Beth Power loves dressing up in 1950s attire. So much so she is in the running to become Miss Pinup Australia.

The annual event will return to the Hervey Bay Baptist Church

Commissioner condemns assault of Fraser Island paramedic

A paramedic escorted the woman to a room before she pulled a knife

Funds for job-ready training in Maryborough

There is an emphasis oung people who participate trade certificates

Latest deals and offers

Superheroes of the big screen enjoy sounds of Splendour

CHRIS Hemsworth and his Avengers mates drop by Byron festival.

Indigenous artist shows tourists secrets of Aboriginal painting

Ever thought "I could do that" about Aboriginal art?

Dynamic pics from Splendour Day 1

The Strokes perform at Splendour in the Grass 2016. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

Check out the latest pictures from Splendour in the Grass.

Bindi Irwin: 18 magic photos to mark her 18th birthday

Bindi Irwin with a python.

Photos: Bindi Irwin from babyhood to 18

Aussie director makes his mark on new Roots mini-series

Malachi Kirby as Kunta Kinte in a scene from the TV series Roots.

BRUCE Beresford behind final episode of remake of iconic series.

Wham bam, thank you TAM

Regional TAM is increasing its audience measurement services by 50%.

Regional television viewers finally getting the credit we deserve

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles