MARYBOROUGH'S historic city hall was in danger of catching alight on Friday after a fire was lit in the toilet block attached to the building.
Queensland Fire and Rescue Officers were called to the central business district about 2.15pm, to find a large amount of toilet paper on fire inside a toilet stall.
Maryborough Fire Station acting station officer Andrew Goffin said the small fire could have ended disastrously if it had travelled into the roof of the hall.
"We were lucky with this fire because it was put out so quickly," Mr Goffin said.
"But if it had spread to the ceiling of something like the town hall, it would have gone off like a bomb."
He said the incident was the second toilet block fire officers had been called to at the hall.
"We have had another fire here, very similar to this one," he said.
"We were just very fortunate it didn't spread, and cause any damage."
Police are investigating the incident.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.