10 things to explore on the Fraser Coast on a budget
1. WONGI WATERHOLES AND LAKE LENTHALL DISCOVERY TRAILS
Settled within the Wongi National Park and State Forest are two hidden gems - the peaceful Wongi Waterholes and majestic Lake Lenthall.
- Camping facilities are available.
- Fishing, boating and exploring
- Bird watching
- Perfect spot for a picnic
2. ENJOY A PICNIC AT ONE OF THE BEAUTIFUL SPOTS ACROSS THE FRASER COAST
Some of our pics for the perfect picnic:
- Queens Park Maryborough
- Mary River Parklands
- Anzac Park
- Elizabeth Park
- Teddington Weir
- Hervey Bay Botanic Gardens
- Pines Park, Pialba
- Scarness Foreshore Park, Scarness
- Dundathu Park, Dundathu
- ESA Park and Turtle Rookery, Esplanade, Point Vernon
3. AKARRA LAGOONS AND TEA GARDENS
Relax at the Arkarra Lagoons and Tea Gardens.
Open Wednesday to Sunday, the gorgeous Arkarra Tea Gardens is a relaxing setting to grab a quick bite to eat and a cuppa. There is a yoga class at 8am on Thursdays.
4. EXPLORE MAAROOM
Get your camera out and explore Maroom, south east of Maryborough. It is an ideal spot for bird watching and taking in nature.
5. STAND UP PADDLE BOARDING
Hire a stand up paddle board from Aquavue or take your own down to the beach for a fun time on the water.
Board hire: $20/hour
6. HERITAGE WALKING TRAILS IN MARYBOROUGH
Experience costume guided tours experiencing the old port city or be spooked on a night time ghost tour or why not make your own way with a downloadable trail map.
7. CRUISE THE MARY RIVER
Take a cruise along the Mary River departing from Hervey Bay with Boat Club Adventure Cruises or Spirit of Hervey Bay. You may even spot a salt water croc on your adventure.
- $65 on the Spirit of Hervey Bay: https://spiritofherveybay.rezdy.com/28198/mary-river-cruise)
Click here for the Boat Club Adventure Cruises: http://www.boatclubadventurecruises.com.au/).
8. ROCK POOL WALK MT WALSH NATIONAL PARK
It will be well worth the walk when you reach the beautiful rock pools perfect for a picnic, cool off in the shade beside the rock pools or just to simply enjoy nature.
-3km return walk
9. EXPLORE THE BEAUTY OF TOOGOOM
Go for a drive to the seaside village of Toogoom, only 15 minutes from Hervey Bay and stop for lunch at one of the cute little cafes, or why not pack a picnic and make a day of it. It is a popular spot for birdwatchers and golfers can tee off at Craignish Golf and Country Club or Fraser Lakes Golf Course.
10. GET FIT FOR FREE
Where else can you get fit with a beautiful view for about 15km? Get fit for free and take advantage of the exercise machines while you walk or run the beautiful Esplanade in Hervey Bay.
What is your favourite place to explore across the Fraser Coast? Share with us in the comments below.