UPDATE: Fire crews cleaning up after blaze near Maryborough
5.30PM UPDATE: THE bushfire warning for Dunford Rd West, Yerra, near Maryborough has been cancelled.
Ten fire crews are conducting mopping up and blackening out operations in the area after a large grass fire.
The blaze did not pose a threat to homes.
There is still a large smoke haze in the area and motorists should drive with caution and to the conditions.
Residents are advised to close windows and doors.
EARLIER: THIRTEEN fire crews are working to contain a blaze burning at Dunford Rd West, Yerra near Maryborough.
The grass fire broke out about midday.
Crews are constructing fire breaks in an effort to contain the fire.
There is no threat to homes at this time.
A large smoke haze is affecting the area.
Queensland Fire and Rescue Services have advised residents to keep their windows closed and doors such.
If suffering a respiratory condition, people should keep their medications close by.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
- Putting on protective clothing;
- Drinking lots of water;
- Moving cars to a safe location;
- Closing windows and doors and shutting blinds;
- Bringing pets inside, restraining them (leash, cage or secure room) and providing water;
- Wetting down fine fuels close to buildings;
- Removing garden furniture, doormats and other items;
- Sealing all gaps under doors and screens;
- Filling containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins;
- Having ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside);
- Having a generator or petrol powered pump ready; and
- Checking and patrolling outside for embers, extinguishing any spot fires and seeking shelter as the fire front arrives.
Residents are advised to call Triple 0 if they believe their property is under threat.