Tinana resident bitten by taipan
AN AFTERNOON of tidying up in the garden could have been fatal for Tinana resident Kylie Larner.
In a split second, and without any warning, Ms Larner was bitten on the foot by a deadly taipan.
“I instantly thought it must have been a brown snake but then we saw the markings on it,” she said.
“I didn’t even see it at first.
“I think I stepped on it because it bit me on the side of the foot.”
Ms Larner’s partner immediately drove her to Maryborough Hospital where the doctors wasted no time.
“They strapped up my leg and put all sorts of monitors on me.
“A venom swab came back negative but a blood test showed a very minor trace of venom.
“I didn’t need any anti-venom.
“I was lucky.
“The doctor said it might have just eaten so that’s why it may not have injected much venom.
“It wasn’t a very big snake – only about 40cm long.”
Ms Larner has not seen any snakes in her yard before but her husband spotted a red-bellied black snake several weeks ago and neighbours had warned them snakes were prevalent in their riverside neighbourhood.
“I’m just so glad it wasn’t one of the kids – or the dog,” she said.
Being bitten by a snake was the third unlucky incident Ms Larner has had to cope with in the past month.
First she lost her job, then she broke a mirror.
Third time unlucky was the snake bite.
Maybe it’s time for a change of fortune.