Smiles after poison tragedy
YOUNG Angus Stewart experienced the horrifying death of his pet kelpie two weeks ago but the nine-year-old Mungar boy can smile again after the kindness of a stranger.
After reading of the suspected poisoning of the Stewart's dogs, Tinana woman Liz Hacker wanted to help.
She offered Angus a new dog, Molly, and Angus was more than happy to accept the 10-month-old kelpie into the family.
Since then another Maryborough resident has offered the Stewarts a dog.
The kind gestures have restored Fiona and Darryl Stewart's faith in humanity.
“I was surprised and a bit overwhelmed when a lady called us after seeing the article in the newspaper,” Mrs Stewart said.
“It was very generous and I thought it would be lovely for Angus to have a new friend to play with.
“It's brought a bit of a smile back and has taken his mind off things.
“Molly is full of energy – just like Angus.
“She loves to play and fetch and she follows Angus around on his bike.”
And she is a persistent playmate, according to Angus.
“If you don't throw the stick for her she will chuck it right at you,” he said.
“She's a good dog and she's even been sleeping on my bed.”
Mrs Stewart said they had received calls from other people offering well-wishes and advice since the deaths of the dogs.
“That support from the public and from friends has been wonderful,” she said.
The family is appealing for help from the public after five of their dogs died in mysterious circumstances in the past two weeks.
One was a kelpie and the other four were maremma stock guardian dogs. The Stewarts believe the dogs were baited with strychnine.
They witnessed kelpie Gypsy have convulsions.
Fifteen minutes later she was dead.
Autopsy results may reveal the cause of the deaths.
“If anyone has seen anything or knows anything, please let the police know,” Darryl Stewart said.