Attacked over a light

A TEENAGER who assaulted a man on the street in an unprovoked attack had been released on parole less than a month prior.

Seventeen-year-old David John Grimes started punching his victim after being refused a “light” on Sunday, September 19.

The victim had been walking along Ferry Street in Maryborough about 3.20am when he was approached by Grimes.

Grimes grabbed him by the shirt and started pushing him before throwing several punches, cutting the man’s face.

A co-accused also threw some punches before the victim escaped and jumped over a fence into the grounds of Maryborough State High School.

A witness called police, who found the victim in the school grounds with blood on his face and a torn shirt.

Grimes this week pleaded guilty in Maryborough Magistrates Court to common assault.

Prosecutor Sergeant Craig Ryan described Grimes as a thug and said he should be jailed for the bashing.

“This was a particularly thuggish act,” Sgt Ryan said.

“It was not just one punch ... he was laying into him, giving him a good flogging, and it took anywhere up to 10 minutes.

“It was a concerted, lengthy assault by two thugs.”

Grimes was on parole at the time of the offence after being sentenced to nine months’ jail for assault occasioning bodily harm.

He was released on parole on August 24 – less than a month before the subsequent assault – but was returned to prison after being charged.

Solicitor Travis George said Grimes had been diagnosed with ADHD and autism spectrum disorder and had struggled with anxiety, anger and communication since he was a young child.

“None of those things are an excuse for a person approaching someone and assaulting them,” Mr George said.

“He had been at a party and says he’d drunk three six-packs of rum and cola.”

Magistrate John Smith said drunkenness was no excuse for violence.

“Any one of us should be able to walk around the street without the worry of being assaulted,” Mr Smith said.

“This type of behaviour won’t be tolerated by the community or by the courts representing the community.”

Grimes was sentenced to six months in jail, to be served cumulative to his current sentence.

He will be eligible to apply for parole on July 5, 2011.

STORY OF: Max and Noelle Sarah, long-time married bakers

premium_icon STORY OF: Max and Noelle Sarah, long-time married bakers

A husband and wife for 60 years share their secrets to marriage

SHARK CULL: MP stands by contoversial call for open season

premium_icon SHARK CULL: MP stands by contoversial call for open season

Pitt said he wanted action taken after shark attacks in QLD

Local Partners