Two fires at the Ballina tip were sparked by batteries being put in domestic bins.
Two fires at the Ballina tip were sparked by batteries being put in domestic bins.

Batteries thrown in bin spark tip fire

RESIDENTS have been urged not to throw batteries in the bin after two fires broke out at the Ballina tip earlier in the month.

Ballina Shire Council said on September 16, "two fires broke out at the Waste Management Centre caused by batteries in kerbside bins".

The council said to drop off household batteries to the Community Recycling Centre, at the Waste Management Centre (167 Southern Cross Drive) or at one of the Community Recycling Stations at the Ballina Council Customer Service Centre, Alstonville Cultural Centre, Ballina Library and Lennox Cultural Centre.

Battery recycling centres are also located at some supermarkets and Battery World stores.

"Please DO NOT put batteries in your waste or recycling kerbside bins. Battery fires can be dangerous and can cause serious damage and large scale air pollution."



Paramedics respond to snake bite in suburban street

Premium Content Paramedics respond to snake bite in suburban street

Paramedics were called to a private residence this morning

WATCH: Video shows 3m shark caught off Fraser Island

Premium Content WATCH: Video shows 3m shark caught off Fraser Island

Fisherman's incredible encounter with beautiful shark

Man hospitalised after heavy machinery incident

Premium Content Man hospitalised after heavy machinery incident

A man has been hospitalised after being hit by heavy machinery this morning