Double amputee's fight for justice
THE BATTLING Granville family that was stopped earlier this year from turning its 160-plus hectares into a waterfront retirement village and residential estate has suffered another crushing blow.
The 78-year-old wife, who is on dialysis and who recently had both legs amputated and suffered a heart attack, is now in Maryborough Hospital.
In a letter from Qld Health last week, she has been told she will probably have to pay $48.35 a day, or $676.90 a fortnight because she has been in hospital more than 35 continuous days.
“The Health Services Regulations 2002 (a federal law) establishes that where a patient is “non-acute” and is deemed to be a long stay patient they are required to contribute towards the cost of their accommodation,” the letter reads.
The woman, whose husband asked that the Chronicle not publish their names, “because my wife is already really stressed”, is bravely fighting for her survival and news of the likely bills is not helping her recovery.
“We complained to Queensland Health,” said the couple's daughter-in-law Christine MacDonald yesterday.
“Now, thank goodness, they have given us a reprieve until October 4 but there just is no guarantee that once they revisit this that they will let us off these bills that we simply cannot afford.
“But this is Australia where you work hard all your life and you expect a fair go when you most need it. We genuinely can't afford these bills because we lost out on getting the Della Vista Lakes development on our land here after council just made it too difficult for the developer to proceed.
“And because we own this land, which we brought back from the scrub through 35 tough years, we are not on any pension.”
Christine spoke of how hard her mother-in-law had worked all her life “to end up like this”.
“Does no one in the system here care? My father and mother-in-law have been told their land is zoned rural with a minimum lot size of 100 ha but they are now going to try to convince council to let them subdivide so they can raise a few dollars to survive – and possibly pay these horrendous bills.”
The Chronicle is seeking a response from Health Minister Paul Lucas.