Beautiful Whitehaven Beach named one of the world's best
QUEENSLAND'S Whitehaven Beach has been knocked off it's perch as the number one beach in the world. But according to popular travel website TripAdvisor, tourists still rate it in the Top 10.
The Whitsunday beauty, famous for its silicon sand and crystal blue waters, came in at third place on the list put together from thousands of reviews.
The top spot went to a remote beach in the Italian south-coast, only accessible by boat.
Rabbit Beach, in Sicily was praised for being an unspoiled reserve where loggerhead sea turtles laid their eggs.
Silver went to Grace Bay in the Turks and Caicos.
Beaches in Brazil and Spain also featured on the list but other exotic destinations like Hawaii and Thailand were overlooked for surprising choices like Wales, in the UK.
A TripAdvisor spokeswoman said the awards were based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings for beaches on the website gathered in the past 12 months.
The Top 10 beaches in the world
- Rabbit Beach, Sicily, Italy.
- Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos.
- Whitehaven Beach, Queensland, Australia.
- Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil.
- Flamenco Beach (Playa Flamenco), Culebra, Puerto Rico.
- Playa de las Catedrales, Ribadeo, Spain.
- Lopes Mendes Beach, Ilha Grande, Brazil.
- Horseshoe Bay Beach, Southampton Parish, Bermuda.
- Eagle Beach, Aruba.
- Rhossili Bay, Rhossili, Swansea, Wales, UK.