Bed for a night thanks to arrest

WHEN Michael James Davis decided to get arrested, he was just looking for a free night's accommodation.

But, ironically, a night at the police watch-house has ended up costing him more than he would have paid for a nice hotel.

Davis, 37, appeared in the Hervey Bay Magistrates Court this week charged with contravening a police direction or requirement.

When the court heard that he had deliberately defied police orders because he wanted somewhere to sleep, Magistrate Graeme Tatnell was “lost for words”.

Several people in the public gallery began snickering when Davis told Mr Tatnell he'd had a “great night's sleep” at the watch-house.

“I would've thought it would've been quite cold and hard,” Mr Tatnell responded.

Defence solicitor John Milburn pointed out that in order to get what they wanted, some people would go so far as to “beg, borrow and steal”.

“It's an unusual way to get what he wanted but at least he didn't steal,” Mr Milburn said of his client.

Police were called to Davis's partner's house in Gossner Street, Scarness, following reports of a domestic dispute.

When they arrived, they saw Davis standing over his partner and shouting at her, prosecutor Kathryn Stagoll said.

Davis refused to give police his correct name and details even after he was told it was an offence to do so.

Police asked him several times to provide his details but Davis still refused, telling the officers to “f*** off”, Sergeant Stagoll said.

He then asked them: “What do I have to do to be arrested?”

At this, Davis was placed in the police car and taken to the police station where he again refused to co-operate with police, she said.

Mr Milburn said that when police at the watch-house tried to release Davis later that night, his client again asked: “What do I have to do to stay here?”

Davis was then “fortunate enough” to be granted what he wanted and was allowed to stay at the watch-house until 6am.

“He didn't trouble police for a meal, just the lodgings,” Mr Milburn said.

“He meant no disrespect to police.”

Mr Milburn told the court Davis had been sleeping in the back of a car since he separated from his partner four months ago.

Davis told Mr Tatnell that he had had nowhere to go because there were “no services in the area that help people”.

He was fined $200.

PHOTOS: Search underway to solve M'boro cold case murder

premium_icon PHOTOS: Search underway to solve M'boro cold case murder

Police divers and specialised dogs are part of the operation.

Team behind Hervey Bay's hope for Aussie gold

premium_icon Team behind Hervey Bay's hope for Aussie gold

Our Brady to compete for country

Armed trio steal $10,000 of cigarettes from grocer

premium_icon Armed trio steal $10,000 of cigarettes from grocer

The armed trio was captured on CCTV footage.

Local Partners