Toxic beetle bite worsens

HELEN Benson’s dermatitis after being bitten by a toxic rove beetle on Wednesday night grew worse over the weekend.

“It’s a real mess,” she said yesterday. “It is burning and itching and I’ve been vomiting.”

The Chronicle published Ms Benson’s story on Saturday.

Ms Benson (pictured) said she had no appetite, felt tired and her temperature reached 38.5 on Saturday night.

“I’ve also had palpitations and sticky eyes.”

On Friday morning Ms Benson went to the doctor and says he told her it was a dermatitis.

“I told him I’d been bitten by something. I thought I’d been bitten by a fire ant.”

Queensland Museum’s curator of entomology Dr Christine Lambkin looked at Chronicle photos of the insect on Friday and thought it was a whiplash rove beetle.



UPDATE: Woolooga-Sexton blaze contained, embers still burn

UPDATE: Woolooga-Sexton blaze contained, embers still burn

Firefighters continue to monitor the fire and its remnants.

Nominations to close for newest awards

Nominations to close for newest awards

Nominations for the first Fraser Coast Sports Awards close Monday.

WATCH: Boy injured after being run over by 4WD

WATCH: Boy injured after being run over by 4WD

The Chronicle understands the boy had upper abdominal injuries

Local Partners