Toxic beetle bite worsens
HELEN Benson’s dermatitis after being bitten by a toxic rove beetle on Wednesday night grew worse over the weekend.
“It’s a real mess,” she said yesterday. “It is burning and itching and I’ve been vomiting.”
The Chronicle published Ms Benson’s story on Saturday.
Ms Benson (pictured) said she had no appetite, felt tired and her temperature reached 38.5 on Saturday night.
“I’ve also had palpitations and sticky eyes.”
On Friday morning Ms Benson went to the doctor and says he told her it was a dermatitis.
“I told him I’d been bitten by something. I thought I’d been bitten by a fire ant.”
Queensland Museum’s curator of entomology Dr Christine Lambkin looked at Chronicle photos of the insect on Friday and thought it was a whiplash rove beetle.