Big turtle chokes to death on plastic at Dundowran beach

A LARGE dead turtle isn't what Elliot Burns was hoping to find as he walked the beach at Dundowran on his school holidays.

Mum Kylie Spencer said the 1m turtle appeared to have choked on plastic, with a piece wrapped around its decomposing jaw.

"Bait, plastic bags and doggie bags litter the beach here," she said.

"We pick them up all the time - but there are alway more."

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service area manager Peter Wright said their rangers received a report from RSPCA about the dead turtle at Petersens Rd on Sunday.

Mr Wright said the carcass was removed and buried by rangers.

"There was no obvious cause of death," he said.

Seven-year-old Elliot Burns understands the importance of keeping rubbish out of our seaways after finding a dead turtle which seemed to have choked on plastic.
Seven-year-old Elliot Burns understands the importance of keeping rubbish out of our seaways after finding a dead turtle which seemed to have choked on plastic. Valerie Horton


SMOKE WARNING: Why Fraser fire poses threat on mainland

SMOKE WARNING: Why Fraser fire poses threat on mainland

People are being urged to look after their health

Bay students celebrate graduating after year like no other

Premium Content Bay students celebrate graduating after year like no other

At total of 12 students graduated from the Nikenbah school

’I told them this would happen’: Ex-cop’s fire prediction

Premium Content ’I told them this would happen’: Ex-cop’s fire prediction

The department has responded to claims the cessation of logging contributed to the...