Boy, 4, tried to wake doped-up dad

A FOUR-year-old boy was seen trying to shake his father awake - he'd passed out in the front seat with amphetamines in his system.

Leigh Adrian Willersdorf was asleep at the wheel.

Inside the car, police found 70.5 grams of white powder, which equated to 30.866 grams of pure methyl amphetamines, 388 grams of cannabis, $11,699 in cash, glass smoking utensils and other drug paraphernalia.

He was transported to the Mackay Base Hospital where blood was taken and an analysis showed he had amphetamines in his system, the Supreme Court in Mackay heard.

Crown prosecutor Matthew Hynes said items including instructions on producing methyl amphetamines, clip seal bags, rubber bands and a heat sealing device were also found in the car.

"In my submission there is certainly a commercial element," he said.

It wasn't known if Willersdorf actually took drugs in front of his son, but Mr Hynes said he was "grossly irresponsible" regardless.

Justice Duncan McMeekin said he'd "let his son down badly".

At the time of the offence, on November 14, 2011, Willersdorf was on bail for previous drug charges.

The court heard he then went on to commit more drug-related charges.

Defence barrister Philip Moore, instructed by Legal Aid Queensland, said Willersdorf was a heavy drug user taking methyl amphetamines daily at one point.

"He now is... trying to move his life forward," Mr Moore said.

He was able to stop his drug use during his second stint in custody, the court heard.

"(His) ultimate motivation was his drug dependency," Mr Moore said.

The cash was a result of a "windfall" and not supplying drugs, he said.

Willersdorf pleaded guilty to drug-related charges and was sentenced to three years imprisonment with immediate parole because he'd previously spent 231 days in custody.

Cash splash at Coast hotels for school holidays

premium_icon Cash splash at Coast hotels for school holidays

Tourists are seeing what the Fraser Coast has to offer.

Drug driver jailed

premium_icon Drug driver jailed

He tested positive when intercepted by police.

Mary Poppins building refurb on hold as company goes bust

premium_icon Mary Poppins building refurb on hold as company goes bust

The company behind the works entered administration last Wednesday

Local Partners