Bruce Hwy budget promise 'not good enough'
THE FEDERAL Government has defended its spending on the Bruce Hwy in this week's Federal Budget, despite claims it is simply doing "business as usual".
The Federal Budget papers, released on Tuesday, outlined $4.1 billion over 10 years for the Bruce Hwy-- $637 million of which is forecast to be spent next year.
Of the projects in line for money sooner rather than later include the Cooroy-to-Curra Section A.
But Queensland has condemned the contribution as nothing above the ordinary as the Newman Government offered to put $1 billion more towards the embattled road's upgrade on the basis the Federal Government matched it on a 80-20 funding split basis.
This meant the Labor Government would have had to allocate $8 billion in total over 10 years while the Queensland Government spends about $2 billion.
"During the Queensland election, Campbell Newman, Jeff Seeney and the Queensland LNP went around and said 'we are going to have $1 billion for the Bruce Hwy, we demand the Federal Government match it'," Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said in Brisbane on Friday.
"We have pointed out to them that we are putting in a lot more than that already and we have put in $4 billion extra.
"And I note the Queensland LNP, including Warren Truss, where the leader of the National Party and my Shadow transport minister described the Corooy-to-Curra section that we have funded, built and opened as the worst section of highway in Australia and he did nothing about it."
Queensland Transport Minister Scott Emerson said $1.7 billion of the Federal Government's $4.1 billion Bruce Hwy budget had already been announced.
"We made it very clear when we came to office that business as usual for the Bruce Hwy was not good enough, you had to go beyond that," he said.