Bureau issues severe thunderstorm warning for Wide Bay
A SEVERE thunderstorm warning for heavy rain and damaging winds in the Wide Bay Burnett was issued by the Bureau of Meteorology about 5.30pm.
The bureau said the rain and wind might lead to flash flooding in the next several hours in Maryborough as well as Gympie, Maroochydore, Noosa and Caloundra.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises people to:
- Move their car under cover or away from trees
- Secure loose outdoor items
- Avoid driving, walking or riding through floodwaters
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines
For emergency assistance, phone the SES on 132 500.