'Shattered' family picking up the pieces after house fire

UPDATE: OFFERS of donations and support have started to flow for the Wilsonton family whose home caught fire early Sunday afternoon.

Real Way real estate agent and spokeswoman for the family Cherryl Jones said the family was in shock but were starting to pick up the pieces from the home's soggy remains.

"They're still in shock and are pretty shattered," Mrs Jones said.

"I've been going around and calling people to see if they have anything to spare."

Mrs Jones said any donations or offers of help can be made to her on 0427 250 868.

 

EARLIER: A WILSONTON family will today try to salvage what they can from their fire-damaged Nuss St home.

The back room of the two-storey rental property was gutted after a candle ignited a mattress about 3.35pm yesterday.

Anzac Avenue Fire Station officer Darrin Kerr said a man, woman and three children were home when the blaze started

"A child who lit a candle went away to get something to put the candle on, but unfortunately rested it on a foam mattress," Mr Kerr said.

(The) mattress caught alight and then the fire was too large for the family to try and contain before they could get back.
 

Firefighters remove a burnt mattress from a Nuss St home yesterday.
Firefighters remove a burnt mattress from a Nuss St home yesterday. Bev Lacey

"He (the child) actually tried to put the fire out and get the smoke out of the house by opening windows but as a result he has subjected himself to breathing the smoke in and he is having a few breathing difficulties."

Mr Kerr praised the family for evacuating quickly.

"Another great thing is the smoke alarms inside the house were working, which gave the family early warning.

"When we arrived they were already all outside the house and safe and they greeted us on the front footpath."

Queensland Ambulance Service paramedic Greg Milthorpe said a 10-year-old boy was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before being taken to Toowoomba Hospital for observation.

"The young fellow was basically pretty emotionally upset when we got here," Mr Milthorpe said.

Mr Kerr said firefighters did well to contain the fire to the back room.



REVEALED: Hervey Bay renters struggle to pay bills

premium_icon REVEALED: Hervey Bay renters struggle to pay bills

Maryborough has just escaped being deemed a housing stress area.

STORY OF: Ted Seaton, speedway star's life on and off track

premium_icon STORY OF: Ted Seaton, speedway star's life on and off track

Every time Ted Seaton closes his eyes, he's still at the Speedway

Grey nomad effect sweeps into Hervey Bay shops

premium_icon Grey nomad effect sweeps into Hervey Bay shops

Hundreds of travellers are bringing economic activity back to town

Local Partners