Discarded cigarette butt causes fire at hotel

A SMOULDERING cigarette butt caused a fire at a hotel on the Esplanade in Hervey Bay. 

Fire crews were called to The Bayswater Hotel after reports of flames up the wall and on the deck of the property in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

When emergency crews arrived the fire in the smoking area was well alight. 

SMOKE WARNING: Fires continue to burn on the Fraser Coast

Hervey Bay Fire Station officer Jason McCloskey said they had the fire out in about 15 minutes.

"When we got there the fire was about two metres by two metres," Officer McCloskey said.

He said the fire started from a cigarette butt smouldering in a pot plant.

"Everything is dry and if you're a smoker you really need to be careful where you're flicking cigarette butts because it is an easy fire starter," Officer McCloskey said.

"This could have been a lot worse," he said.



Charges laid on crime spree accused after dramatic manhunt

premium_icon Charges laid on crime spree accused after dramatic manhunt

He has been mentioned for the first time in court.

Working for safer communities recognised

premium_icon Working for safer communities recognised

Local prevention means crime doesn't pay

NETBALL: Bandits snatch Jr Div 2 title from Rhinos

premium_icon NETBALL: Bandits snatch Jr Div 2 title from Rhinos

Both teams fought hard in the Jr Division 2 finals

Local Partners