Coast hospitals to be reviewed
“WE DON’T want Ned Kelly investigating the banks – let it be an independent and transparent review so we can have some integrity.”
That’s Fraser Coast Health Focus Group chair Gerard O’Connell’s response to the announcement by Health Minister Paul Lucas that an immediate and complete review of clinical services would be carried out at the Maryborough and Hervey Bay hospitals.
Mr Lucas made the surprise announcement on Wednesday in reply to a question tabled in parliament by Maryborough MP Chris Foley.
“Dedicated specialist teams have commenced a review of the northern cluster to identify what lessons from Bundaberg can be applied to Hervey Bay and Maryborough,” Mr Lucas said.
“This is an important issue.”
Mr Lucas acknowledged coverage of the region’s ailing health services including the Fraser Coast Chronicle’s Stop the Bleeding campaign.
“Blind Freddy can see we’ve got one hospital bursting at the seams and one hospital half an hour away with extra capacity,” said Mr Foley yesterday.
Meanwhile, Queensland Health yesterday announced in its latest report card the Maryborough and Hervey Bay hospitals have admitted a total of 471 patients from the waiting list between July and September – 49 more patients than the same period last year.