Council to open time capsule 25 years after it was buried
CAN you remember what you were doing on October 20 in 1990?
It was a Saturday, and the Hervey Bay City Council Deputy Mayor Mal Campbell opened the city's new administration centre in Tavistock St.
The Mayor was Fred Kleinschmidt.
Part of the festivities was the burial of two time capsules - one to be opened in 50 years and one to be opened in 25 years - October 20, 2015.
Fast forward 25 years later, a ceremony will be held at the Hervey Bay administration centre to mark the occasion and open the capsule on October 20.
When the time capsule was buried in 1990.
- Following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait on August 2, operation Desert Shield begins as the United States and UK send troops to Kuwait;
- The Simpsons appears for the first time on FOX TV;
- Tim Berners-Lee publishes the first web page on the WWW;
- The Number One song was Bon Jovi, Blaze of Glory;
- The first in-car GPS Satellite Navigation System goes on sale from Pioneer, and;
- Bob Hawke was Prime Minister.