News

Couple lucky to be alive after air conditioner fire in room

A PT Vernon couple is lucky to be alive after an air conditioner caught on fire in the master bedroom of their home.

The close call has sparked a warning from Torquay Fire Station Officer Jason McCoskey who said the couple did not have fire alarms installed.

Officer McCoskey said a woman in her 60s woke up to the smell of smoke just before 11.30pm Monday. 

"They were lucky to have escaped," he said.

"The toxic fumes given off during a fire can cause unconsciousness and lead to death."

Fire crews were at the scene within minutes and contained the blaze to the master bedroom before putting it out completely.

Officer McCoskey said it was a reminder for everyone to ensure they have hard-wired working smoke alarms in their homes. 

To find out more about fire safety or to book your free Safehome click here: www.qfes.qld.gov.au/communitysafety/freeprograms/safehome.asp   

Has a smoke alarm ever saved your life? Join the conversation and have your say below.  

Topics:  fire fire alarms queensland fire and emergency service



ROAD CLOSURES: Latest updates and hazards

Authorities are advising motorists not to drive in flood waters.

Authorities are advising motorists not to drive in flood waters.

Riverside restaurateur ready for anything mother nature brings

KEEPING WATCH: 71 Wharf Restaurant in Maryborough owner Brenda Lewin has been keeping an eye on the rising waters of the Mary River.

Brenda Lewin knew the flood risk when she opened shop.

Date set for funeral of Fraser Coast community leader

Australia Day - citizen award winner - Trevor Cecil - citizen of the year. Photo: Alistair Brightman / Fraser Coast Chronicle

The celebration of life will be held at the Brolga Theatre.

Local Partners