SHOWER SHOCK: Thozet Rd residents Stuart Lee and Kristy Fitt test the water in their bathroom after they received electric shocks at their Thozet Rd home.
SHOWER SHOCK: Thozet Rd residents Stuart Lee and Kristy Fitt test the water in their bathroom after they received electric shocks at their Thozet Rd home. Austin King ROK

Couple recover slowly after electric shocks in shower

STUART Lee and his partner Kristy Fitt are lucky to be alive after the shock of their lives.

Stuart had been set to go fishing and Kristy was getting ready to head into work on Saturday.

But when Kristy jumped into the shower, she suffered what's now understood to be an electric shock.

Not long after, Stuart also had a shower and knew exactly what Kristy was talking about.

"I got a zap when I went to turn the shower off - I could see the electricity," Stuart said.

"I felt a little bit dizzy and blurred vision and I felt like vomiting.

"When Kristy got home after a few hours at work, she could hardly breathe and was holding her chest," Stuart said.

An Ergon Energy crew were already on scene then investigating what had happened at their Thozet Rd home, when the pair became ill.

Stuart said they called ambulance crews and were rushed to Rockhampton Hospital.

"Kristy probably had the worst of it being first in the shower, and for longer," he said.

"We're still both sore - the doctor said once the adrenalin stops, effects of the electricity will make our muscles feel tired," Stuart said.

Stuart said subsequent checks showed the customer's line from the power pole to their house had "fried out" from old age.

An Ergon Energy spokesman confirmed there had been a fault with the customer's switchboard.

Stuart was yesterday quick to praise the energy provider as well as staff at Rockhampton Hospital and ambulance officers for their quick work.

Stuart said while they seemed okay at first, it didn't take long before they started feeling the effects of receiving electric shocks.

After their ordeal, Stuart just wants to give praise to those who worked quickly to help the couple.

"The man from Ergon Energy even stayed with us until ambos got here, he said

"The hospital was fantastic too; and I just want remind people about safety as well - check the safety of your house."



K'gari is second home to our island rangers

K'gari is second home to our island rangers

The rangers have had years of experience on the island.

GALLERY: Guinea Pigs scrub up for the show

GALLERY: Guinea Pigs scrub up for the show

Dozens of Guinea Pigs appeared at the show with their owners.

When and where to vote early in the Fraser Coast by-election

When and where to vote early in the Fraser Coast by-election

Looking to vote early? Here's where you can pre-poll on the Coast.

Local Partners