Maryborough dad admits to incest

A MAN admitted to having sex with his intellectually impaired teenage daughter in a recorded conversation heard in the Maroochydore District Court yesterday.

The 46-year-old is standing trial for the rape of the girl, aged between 16 and 17 when the alleged offences occurred in the family home in Maryborough between January 2003 and April 2004.

In a conversation recorded by the man’s ex-wife in 2004 the man admitted to having sex with the girl, but “not very often at all”.

“It’s not like we were f***ing every day,” the man said.

“She was doing things to me ... enticing me.”

On the tape the man said he knew having sex with his daughter was wrong and he “waited until she was at least 17”.

He also said his daughter, who suffers from congenital neurological damage and a seizure disorder, “knew what she was doing”.

The girl’s mother told the court the couple had separated after the rape allegations arose.

She said she became concerned for her daughter after overhearing a conversation in which the teen said she was sick of her father coming into her room at night and waking her up.

After speaking with her daughter, who allegedly said the accused had touched her, the woman confronted the man. He allegedly told his ex-wife their daughter “was always walking around naked and sitting on (his) lap”, adding he and the girl had not had sex for “a while”. The man is self-represented, with his mother as his spokeswoman. His brother has also been present during proceedings.

Yesterday, however, Judge John Robertson considered ejecting the accused’s brother from the court room for heckling a witness.

The brother left voluntarily, shouting at the witness “You’re going to hell” as he left.

A verdict is expected to be reached today.

Euthanasia meeting coming to Hervey Bay

Euthanasia meeting coming to Hervey Bay

It comes on the back of a meeting in Bundaberg.

Hervey Bay teachers set to take strike action

Hervey Bay teachers set to take strike action

But a spokesman from Carinity denied that staff were facing cuts.

Roses stolen from grave hours after funeral

Roses stolen from grave hours after funeral

It has been five days since Mike Aherne buried his son Carl

Local Partners