After 'Mad-Max-style' shootout, charged man set free
ONE of three men charged over a 'Mad Max-style' shootout at Copmanhurst has walked away from court with a nine-month good behaviour bond.
Lloyd Herbert Death, 41, was originally charged with a number of serious firearm offences including the reckless wounding of co-accused Kurtis Young, after it was alleged Young was shot in the upper left arm at a Stockyard Creek Rd property on March 15.
But yesterday Death was convicted of just two offences relating to the possession of unauthorised firearms and ammunition.
Three charges in relation to the previously alleged incident - firing a firearm in a manner likely to injure, reckless wounding and using an authorised firearm - were withdrawn ahead of his sentencing on December 7.
In May, Death was granted bail totalling $80,000, after differing accounts of the confrontation with his brother Wade Death, 39, and Young were heard in Grafton Local Court.
Police believed the shoot-out occurred following a dispute between neighbouring property owners.
Death's solicitor Greg Coombes said there was an element of self defence in the actions of his client, who maintained he only returned fire after his brother and Young fired at him from a car.
Mr Coombes said his client also phoned police to inform them of the incident and handed over his gun, and argued a wound on Young's arm was caused by a dog bite rather than a shotgun. There was no medical evidence produced to prove what caused the injury.
At the time, Magistrate David Heilpern said the prosecution case needed to definitively prove the cause, and granted bail despite opposition from the Crown.
Other parts of the inital evidence, where Lloyd Death was described as shooting Mad Max-style while riding a motorbike, were described by the magistrate as fanciful.
Three apprehended violence applications involving all three men were also finalised in Grafton Local Court yesterday, each for 12 months.