News

Claims Fraser Island dingoes will be extinct by 2016

THE curator of the Fraser Coast Wildlife Sanctuary has believes there won't be any dingoes on Fraser Island by the end of this year.

Ray Revill was told on Friday about another dingo that had been destroyed by Queensland Parks and Wildlife rangers after lunging at a young girl.

The Chronicle understands the dingo named Kenny, was affectionately known to locals.

Mr Revill said the dingoes' death was due to continuing "stupid" decisions made by tourists who ignored warning signs and interacted with dingoes.

"It's getting to the point where it's totally disgusting," he said.

Mr Revill cited thousands of people and hundreds of cars at one time visiting the popular Eli Creek during the Christmas period as evidence the wild animals were being over-run by tourists.

He estimated there were less than 100 dingoes left on the island.

But Mr Revill's claims contradict the view of Queensland National Parks Minister Steve Dickson, who says there is "no evidence that the Fraser Island dingo population is dying out".

"It is important that visitors follow dingo safety advice to ensure tourists can continue to enjoy the thrill of seeing this native animal in its natural environment for years to come," he said.

While reluctant to urge changes to tourist numbers permitted on the island, Mr Revill said if tourists obeyed warnings the dingo decrease would stop.

Mr Revill said the island's tourism needed the dingoes and people needed to stop interacting with them.

"People, wake up to what you're doing," he said.

Mr Dickson said the State Government would continue to maintain "a healthy and sustainable population of dingoes".

"I am confident the new Fraser Island Dingo Conservation and Risk Management Strategy is improving the welfare and management of the dingo population, while enhancing visitor safety into the future," he said.

Topics:  dingoes editors picks fraser coast wildlife sanctuary fraser island ray revill steve dickson



LATEST: Roads start to open, water remains on others

Authorities are advising motorists not to drive in flood waters.

Authorities are advising motorists not to drive in flood waters.

Driver seen swerving allegedly blows 4x limit

Police said the man was driving a red Holden sedan.

Funding announced for $2.63m Pialba youth precinct

Local Government Minister Mark Furner.

The funding will be announced on Wednesday.

Local Partners