Doubt over flood recovery work roll out
DOUBT still hovers over the Queensland Reconstruction Authority's ability to roll out the remainder of its $12.2 billion flood recovery works despite an extended deadline.
The authority was thrown into uncertainty earlier this year when the State Government signalled the possibility of not continuing the authority past its original and legislated finish date of February 2013.
But after an outcry from local governments and communities still waiting for their share of the flood recovery project funding, the State Government extended the authority's expiration date to June 2014.
Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney was less than satisfied with the slow progress the authority had made and said the new deadline would still be a challenge.
"There is a challenge even with that extended timeframe to complete the task," he said in Parliament on Wednesday.
"The lack of progress for a considerable period of time was a frustration...and I have nothing but praise for the work being done at the moment but it took (sometime)."
Like all other government agencies, the authority was also forced to find savings, which led to the loss of 22 full-time positions.
The authority now has 101 staff on their books, which chief executive officer Graeme Newton said was an appropriate number for delivery of the agency's service.
More than $5 billion in works across weather-damaged communities has been rolled out by the state and federally-funded authority and $3 billion worth of projects is currently under way.