Eleven crews working to contain grassfire at Pacific Haven
ELEVEN crews are working to contain a large grassfire burning off Pacific Haven Dr at Pacific Haven, near Howard.
About 12.30pm, the Department of Community Safety said the fire was moving in a southerly direction and residents on Pacific Haven Dr, Gregory St and Bilsborugh Rd would notice large amounts of smoke in the area.
Motorists were asked to be cautious and drive to the conditions as visibility would be affected.
The department said residents with respiratory conditions should keep their doors and windows closed and their medication close by.
At the time the statement was issued, the department said there was no immediate threat to property but residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
- Putting on protective clothing
- Drinking lots of water
- Moving car/s to a safe location
- Closing windows and doors and shut blinds
- Bringing pets inside, restraining them (leash, cage or secure room) and providing water
- Wetring down fine fuels close to buildings
- Removing garden furniture, doormats and other items
- Sealing all gaps under doors and screens
- Filling containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
- Having ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
- Having generator or petrol pump ready
- Checking and patrolling outside for embers, extinguishing any spot fires and seeking shelter as the fire front arrived
For information on current bushfire incidents, visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html.