Family home destroyed as blaze leaves a smouldering ruin
A MARYBOROUGH home was left gutted by a fire on Thursday night, with firefighters still searching for a cause.
Two crews of firefighters were called to the home on Kent St about 12.40am yesterday.
The main crew left the house about 2.45am, while another firefighter was onsite until about 6am.
Fire fighter Neil Hinschen said the fire started in the lounge room, but crews were still unsure of the cause.
He said the family of five was asleep when the fire started and were woken up by the sound of the fire before their smoke alarms began to go off.
Mr Hinschen said the family all made it outside safely, but the two-storey Queenslander was gutted.
He warned people to check their smoke alarms were operating and stressed the benefits of smoke alarms.