Fire advice message as seven crews battle Tiaro grass blaze
THE Queensland Fire and Emergency Services is advising residents to keep alert after a fire started in Tiaro.
At 7pm on Saturday a large grass fire was burning near Glenbar Tiaro Rd.
Seven fire crews are working to contain the blaze, which broke out about 2.30pm on Saturday afternoon.
There is no threat to homes at this time.
There is a lot of smoke in the area and residents who suffer from a respiratory condition are advised to keep medications close by.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
- Putting on protective clothing;
- Drinking lots of water;
- Moving car/s to a safe location;
- Closing windows and doors and shutting blinds;
- Bringing pets inside, restraining them (leash, cage or secure room) and providing water;
- Wetting down fine fuels close to buildings;
- Removing garden furniture, doormats and other items;
- Sealing all gaps under doors and screens;
- Filling containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins;
- Having ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside);
- Having a generator or petrol powered pump ready; and
- Checking and patrolling outside for embers, extinguishing any spot fires and seeking shelter as the fire front arrives.
Residents are advised to call Triple 0 if they believe their property comes under threat.
Regular updated information will be provided on the Rural Fire Service Queensland (RFSQ) website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or listen to local radio.