Five crews of firefighters extinguish Nikenbah grassfire
A GRASSFIRE off the Maryborough-Hervey Bay Rd at Nikenbah has been extinguished by firefighters on Tuesday evening.
The fire, which started about 6.30pm, was burning near the House of Golf, on the other side of the Scrub Hill Rd.
Hervey Bay Rural Fire Brigade group co-ordinator Don Duffus said two rural units from Nikenbah were on the scene along with three urban crews.
He said the fire started on the edge of the road and, while they did not know for sure how it began, they suspected it could have been from a cigarette butt thrown from a car.
It took the crews about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze.