News

Telstra set to fix manhole after five years of complaints

Scarness resident John Hazel has been seeking action to cover a manhole on East St for five years.
Scarness resident John Hazel has been seeking action to cover a manhole on East St for five years. Alistair Brightman

FIVE years after he first raised the alarm about a dangerous manhole on East St at Scarness, John Hazel has had no response - and now he is fed up.

Mr Hazel said the open, 1m-metre deep hole near a busy walkway has been there since he moved to the area 10 years ago, and after several years he became concerned enough to lodge an official complaint.

"In the past five years, I've been to the council several times but I've only gotten as far as talking to the receptionist who said a complaint will be recorded," he said.

"It's only going to be a matter of time when someone is going to have a huge accident.

"I already know an elderly woman who has fallen inside the manhole and just two days ago I had to pull away a blind woman who was walking in the area.

"All council did was put plywoods up and cordoned off the area which were ripped out two weeks ago and they've come back and cordoned off the manhole again!"

The walkway is a busy area according to Mr Hazel who said he could hear people walking around as early as 4am.

When alerted of this issue by the Chronicle last week, councillor Trevor McDonald said barricades and warnings around open pits in the footpaths were put in place but said it was Telstra's problem to fix.

A Telstra spokesman when contacted on Tuesday apologised and said their priority was to fix it soon.

"The repair task has been escalated and we are working to have this work completed as soon as possible," he said.

Topics:  danger fraser coast regional council hervey bay pedestrians scarness telstra



LATEST: Roads start to open, water remains on others

Authorities are advising motorists not to drive in flood waters.

Authorities are advising motorists not to drive in flood waters.

Driver seen swerving allegedly blows 4x limit

Police said the man was driving a red Holden sedan.

Funding announced for $2.63m Pialba youth precinct

Local Government Minister Mark Furner.

The funding will be announced on Wednesday.

Local Partners