Menu
News

Fraser Coast shopping centre evacuated after small fire

ELI Waters Shopping Centre was evacuated on Monday night after a small fire broke out at a kebab shop.

An electrical fire started in a refrigeration unit for a cold room at Ibo's Kebab & Pizza about 8.15pm.

Hervey Bay's acting fire station officer Mark McGrath said when crews arrived at the shopping centre the fire had been put out by a shop fitter who was working at an adjoining store.

The centre was evacuated for about thirty minutes.

Mr McGrath said it was a timely reminder for businesses to ensure fire extinguishers were in working order and staff knew how to use them.

"We are happy for people to put out fires as long as it's safe to do so and they're not putting their own lives at risk." he said.

When fire crews arrived at the business they ensured the area was made safe.

It was discovered the fire was caused by an electrical fault. 

Topics:  eli waters fcfire



LEAKED: 1 in 10 Australians' medical records exposed

Confidential patient health data has been released in a major blunder by the Department of Health.

ONE in 10 Australians’ private health records have been exposed

Fine Christmas fishing ahead on Fraser Coast

TOP CATCH: Kyle Arthur landed this slab of a golden trevally out off Hervey Bay.

Hopefully the sun will be shinning from now until Christmas.

Your say on men making up majority of road fatalities

Learner drivers will have to take new tests designed to highlight potentially fatal traffic hazards, Monday, June 22, 2015. Photo Kevin Farmer / The Chronicle

'I know terrible female drivers who should not be on the road.'

Local Partners