Fridge blast destroys family home
ROSE Coy was on the phone in her Golden Shores home at Hervey Bay yesterday morning when the power suddenly cut out.
Rose, 76, thought nothing more of it and was continuing with her conversation until her partner, Mike Pye, came storming into the bedroom telling her to “get off the phone – we have a major problem”.
Seeing the concern on his face she put the phone down and moved quickly to the kitchen, which by then was filling up with smoke.
“The smoke was seeping out of the doors of the fridge and when Mike opened it to see what was causing the smoke it literally exploded into flames,” Rose said.
“We both just ran from the house,” she said.
Mike then enlisted neighbour Bob Pascoe to help and went back inside with just a garden hose to try to put the fire out.
During his valiant attempt to stop the fire Mike suffered smoke inhalation and paramedics had to treat him at the scene.
By the time the fire brigade reached Golden Shores the small two-bedroom home was well alight and little could be done to save it.
Most importantly fire officers were able to stop any chance of it spreading to nearby properties.
As neighbours Margaret Zieren and Diane Jarvis comforted her a distraught Rose said she had to thank Mike for saving her life.
“If he hadn’t been there to come in and tell me we had a fire I just would have gone on talking on the phone,” she said.
“I don’t know what would have happened; I really don’t want to think about it.”
Even though it was an hour after the fire Golden Shores caretaker Rick Badley had already organised emergency accommodation for the couple.
“We have a unit for them to move straight into and knowing this community there will be plenty of support to help them get back on their feet over the coming days,” he said.
“We have more than 350 homes here at Golden Shores and thankfully have had very few incidents, I feel for them. It’s not a great way to start the year.”