Toxic fumes overcome Springfield lagoon workers

TWO Orion Lagoon workers were taken to hospital after being overcome by toxic fumes at the weekend.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at the popular recreational spot at Springfield yesterday just before midday.

It is understood hydrochloric acid and chlorine were somehow mixed together before coming into contact with water.

A pool maintenance person and a cleaner are believed to have been overcome by the fumes in the lagoon's pump house.

Three Queensland Fire and Rescue units attended the scene where scientific officers conducted tests and ventilated the area.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesman said the two men were taken to Ipswich Hospital in a stable condition as a precaution.

The lagoon was not closed during the brief incident and the public was not placed in danger due to the chemical spill.



How Haussler formulated the Joeys Mini World Cup

premium_icon How Haussler formulated the Joeys Mini World Cup

The seed for the Cup was planted in 2006. Here's how.

First steps in ambitious CBD project for Hervey Bay

premium_icon First steps in ambitious CBD project for Hervey Bay

Councillors voted to endorse some precincts of the new CBD

Breaking down walls with Akos

premium_icon Breaking down walls with Akos

The nine-piece project consists of large canvas murals.

Local Partners